Statement Of Purpose
Statement Of Purpose
I need a two page statement of purpose on developmental psychology
30 N Prince Street, Shippensburg, 17257*201-736-1336 *email@example.com. Statement Of Purpose
Master of Science in Counseling and College Student Personnel May 2020
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, PA, USA
Accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Management September 2013
University of Benin, Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy June 2007
University of Benin
higher education experience
Diverse student success/retention coach – Shippensburg University of pennsylvania, shippensburg, pa
Diverse Student Success/Retention Coordinator May 2019 – Present
Supervisor: Ms. Rochelle Plummer
· Advising Diverse student population in the area of academic progress, learning, campus resources, and referral to the financial aid office
· Counseling African American students and their families on intercultural, adjustment, personal, family, academic and work difficulties.
· Analyzing academic performance data and providing holistic advising/counseling to students.
· Coaching students on making academic-related choices that promote timely and realistic degree progress.
· Working collaboratively with campus-wide student support programs
· Counseling students of diverse backgrounds on learning strategies
· Coordinating, organizing and implementing programs, workshops, and sessions that facilitate student and scholar adjustment and academic development.
· Partnering with the Center for Student First and Emerging Scholars to organize major exploration workshops
· Serving as a liaison to college academic advisers and providing student referral to appropriate campus partners
· Serving as member of the Crisis Counseling Committee.
· Developing timely interventions for academically at-risk students.
· Working with the University Student Retention Committee to develop strategies to increase student retention.
Teacher Education Department – Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA
Graduate Assistant, May 2018 – May 2019
Supervisor: Dr. Janet Bufalino
· Assisted faculty and staff in planning and executing events such as meet and greet for potential students, department orientation for new students, biannual supervisor luncheon, and annual school counselors conference. Statement Of Purpose
· Assisted faculty with research and other projects such as Career Day for high-schoolers and CACREP accreditation.
· Assisted Dr. Gwen Durham Jackson in conducting research on summer bridge programs and its effects on underrepresented student population
· Provided office support by assisting with administrative duties such as managing departmental library, editing the bi-annual digital faculty/ student newsletter, preparing evaluation reports, tracking students’ regulatory clearances, and managing content on the department’s website.
· Invited Panelist to class – Introduction to Helping Service, to discuss the topic “Navigating Graduate School and Professional training: Tips from Senior Students”.
· Collaborated with faculty to facilitate first year experience classes on Stress and Resiliency in Fall 2019.
· Assisted faculty in supervising children’s break time and lunch at the Grace B. Luhr’s Elementary Laboratory School
The Office of Student First (First-Generation Students Advising), Shippensburg, PA
Graduate Intern, Jan 2019 – August 2019
Supervisor- Ms. Rochelle Plummer
· Counseled and supported at-risk first year students to help them understand and overcome personal, social, or behavioral problems affecting their college success
· Advised underrepresented undergraduate students regarding educational issues, such as course and program selection, class scheduling and registration, school adjustment, study habits, and career planning and use of campus resources.
· Monitored at-risk students’ academic progress via Student Success Collaborative Navigate (SSC)
· Provided weekly report to my supervisor regarding students’ financial status and enrolment
· Organized programs and led symposium on strategies for helping first-generation
· Assisted in formulating policies for first-generation student group on campus
· Facilitated students’ learning engagement via online and in-person
The Office of Student Conduct, Shippensburg, PA
Graduate Intern, Sept 2019 – Dec 2019
Supervisor: Ms. Sarah Shupp
· Worked with students whose actions were against the student handbook by employing restorative justice strategies to allow learning and taking responsibility of decisions
· Recommended appropriate sanctions in accordance with the student psychosocial development
· Utilized Maxient (a centralized software for reporting and managing behavior and records of university students) and Judicial Educator (an e-learning platform that education students involved in conduct related issues)
Writing tutor/Academic Success Program – Shippensburg University, Shippensburg, PA
Academic Adviser, Sept 2019 – April 2020
Supervisor: Dr. Karen Johnson
· Advised African American first year students on their learning engagement
· Taught English 113 as part of the Academic Success Program
· Edited undergraduate assignment papers using APA and MLA writing styles
· Advised students regarding educational issues, such as course and program selection, class scheduling and registration, school adjustment, study habits, and career planning.
· Prepared reports on students and activities as required by administration.
· Tutored students and presented self-help/information sessions on academic success and career planning.
· Managed and updated counseling logs for each student.
· Provided academic advising for students.
· Coached and supported under-prepared new students in their transition to college.
Immaculate Conception College, Nigeria, Edo
Teacher and Student Liaison Officer, August 2011 – August 2014
Supervisor: Dr. Cyril Ofoegbu
· Taught Secondary school level Religious Studies
· Offered instructional leadership to students and student groups through frequent meetings, seminars and workshops
· Supervised internal examinations and teaching
· Coordinated, directed and planed the academic calendar
· Monitored attendance register and lesson notes
· Engaged in classroom observation
· Coordinated annual evaluation of teachers and students
· Writing Fellow, Shippensburg University, PA August 2019 – March 2020
· Assisted First Year students in their transition.
· Provided a platform for interaction between international and domestic students.
· Planned and facilitated English learning strategies
· Grace B Luhrs Elementary Laboratory school, Shippensburg, PA, January 2018 to May 2018
· Facilitated workshops on academic success.
· Organized academic success programs for high schoolers
· Taught Latin and English Language
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
· Ograh, J. E (2020). Effecting change in African American students’ learning engagement. March 7; A paper presented at the Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association 2020 Conference, Towson University, Maryland, United States.
· Ograh, J. E (2019). Stepping out of your comfort zone. A paper presented on the occasion of first-year student welcome experience, Shippensburg University, PA, United States
· Ograh, J. E. (2016). Ethnic consciousness of university education administration in Nigeria and national development: The experience of a lesson. Apostolos Magazine, 25. Annual Publication of the Seminary of All Saints, Ekpoma, Edo, Nigeria
· Ograh, J. E. (2014) Seduced by Justice: Response to Structural Imbalance in Nigeria. Benin City: Reize Nigeria Limited
ACADEMIC/PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION AND COMMITTEES
· The Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association, Jan 2020 – Present
· Chi Sigma Iota (CSI), Upsilon Chapter, 2019 – Present
· National College Professionals Association (NASPA) March 2018 – Present
· American College Professionals Association (ACPA) Feb 2018 – Present
· Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRC), June 2013 – September 2018
· Centre for Leadership and Manpower Development, Nigeria, June 2012
· Centre for Educational Management and Administration, Nigeria, April 2013
· The Mid-Atlantic Writing Center Association 2020 Conference, Towson University. The Conference was funded by the Writing Center of Shippensburg University
· American College Professionals Association (2019), Boston, Massachusetts. The Conference was funded by the Department of counseling and college student personnel
· Leadership Development Training Workshop (2012). Centre for Leadership and Manpower Development, Benin City, Nigeria